Call for Proposals: 25th Annual Pacific Rim International Conference on Disabilities
May 4-5, 2009 • Honolulu, Hawai‘i • Hawai‘i Convention Center
Working toward a brighter future
The Center on Disability Studies (http://www.cds.hawaii.edu/) at theUniversity of Hawai‘i cordially invites you to the 25th Annual PacificRim International Conference on Disabilities on May 4-5, 2009 inHonolulu, Hawai‘i. Celebrate the collective achievements of the past and look forward to create an inclusive vision for the 21st century. As we face economic uncertainty and global challenges, it is even more important to honor tradition, and use this foundation to navigate ourfutures.
In the tradition of PacRim, the 2009 conference will revisit familiar themes and explore new directions through scholarship, best practice,and international networking. Join us, and continue this extraordinary journey. We will have several pre and post conference sessions, including an accessible sports Sunday at the beach; an international film festival; and the 2nd Annual International Forum: Securing theRights of Persons with Disabilities: Eradicating Poverty.
Envisioning the Future
· To achieve human and social progress we will address poverty.
· To maximize human potential we will highlight indigenous/nativepeoples; girls and women; and veterans with disabilities.
· To realize our dreams for inclusion and self-determination, we will ensure all people have access to services and opportunities: transitionto adulthood, employment, family support, independent living.
· To create an accessible world, we will showcase Universal Design forLearning and Living and feature products and design elements for home,school, play and office.
· To ensure our future we will prepare our youth to take responsibilityfor the future by bringing them together to dialogue about experiences,visions, insights, and futures.
· To support your attendance PacRim 2009 will provide an early acceptance notice within 2-3 weeks of your submission. Conference ratesare very reasonable and we have secured room blocks for under $160 pernight. We will also help facilitate room-shares if you are trying tokeep your costs low. We all need to be together!
If you are only able to attend one conference this year, choose PacRim2009 in Waikiki, Hawaii at the beautiful Hawaii Convention Center.
Traditionally this conference is one of the most exciting for attendees and presenters – providing a unique balance of cultures, and issues oflocal, national and international importance. This year’s conference will seek to better these efforts and provide you with a most unique and exceptional experience – we hope to be seeing you in Honolulu inMay.
Director, the Center on Disability Studies
Charmaine CrockettCo-Chair, PacRim 2009
Valerie ShearerCo-Chair, PacRim 2009
Web Site Links
Text Only version of the Call for Papers http://www.pacrim.hawaii.edu/ad/callforpapers2009/text.html
About PacRim: http://www.pacrim.hawaii.edu/
About the Convention Center: http://www.hawaiiconvention.com/