Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Alexis Glover: an update

Manassas, Virginia - According to reports by MSNBC and the Washington Post police and child protective services were called six weeks before Alexis Glover was found dead after she went to a neighbour with a gash on her head and told him that her mother had beaten her. As reported by the Washington Post:

Byers said his wife saw Lexie, wrapped in the kind of tarp used to cover a barbecue, wile warming up her truck to go to work about 5 a.m. that day last month. Realizing her condition, she invited Lexie inside and gave her some clothes.

Lexie told the couple that her mother had used a stick she kept in the garage to reprimand her for wearing a piece of clothing.

“She didn’t want to tell me her name or where she lived, because she said they kept sending her back and her mother had hit her numerous times,” Byers said.

Byers said he was reluctant to call police because he feared they would send her home again. After a couple of hours, Lexie mentioned the name of a counselor she had met with at a psychiatric hospital, whom Byers then tried to contact. He was referred to a child protection hotline, which he called, and then received a call from someone at social services.

“The woman said, ‘We’re going to protect your privacy, and we’ll show up with police when they get to your door,’ ” Byers said. “Not quite an hour after that, the police showed up with no social services.”

The police officer told Byers that Lexie had a history of running away. He called for an ambulance when Byers showed him the gash on her head. Before leaving for a nearby hospital, the phone rang, he said. It was Gregg-Glover, who somehow had gotten Byers’s number, and asked to speak to the officer, he said.

“I hand [the phone] to the officer, and he had this real perplexed look on his face and he mouthed to me, ‘It’s her mother,’ ” Byers said. “Even the officer was flustered about that. He said, ‘That’s wrong. [Social services] shouldn’t have” shared Byers’s phone number.

As reported in previous FRIDA posts, the body of Alexis Glover, who was developmentally disabled, was found submerged in a creek on Friday 9 January, 2009. Her mother, Alfreedia Gregg-Glover, has since been arrested and charged with felony child neglect and filing a false police report in connection with her daughter's death. It is not known whether Alexis was dead when she was placed in the creek or whether she died in the water but her death is being investigated as a murder. Alfreedia Gregg-Glover has not been charged with Alexis' death.

Full details are here and here ...